Colt Brennan, the former star quarterback for Hawaii and one-time Heisman Trophy finalist, was found unconscious in a hotel room a day before he died, his father said Tuesday.
Terry Brennan told ESPN his son ingested something that was apparently laced with fentanyl and never was able to regain consciousness. He said Colt Brennan also tried to enter a detox program at a Newport Beach, Calif., hospital but was unable to stay because there were no beds.
"He was really into it," the former quarterback’s father said of his son's recovery program. "It involved a lot of physical activity and he liked it. He was working with soldiers who had come back from Afghanistan and Iraq with similar problems. He was doing quite well with it for four months. Then something happened and he went to the dark side, and it was just not good."