Short card, so let's see what we can come up with. Eight MLB dogs have already been submitted.....the easy way. Study-time. Get 'em, Pregamers!
- Granderson out until May with a broken forearm after being hit by JA Happ. Not only have the Jays stocked up, but they are weakening their opponents as well....Oops, that one got away....Jays' batters struck out far too much and Yanks' offense looks to have a struggle ahead. Expect Lawrie may have a great start.
- Reds' one-hit....not good even in spring training, although Lecure and Parra did look very good. Indians' pitchers threw only 64 pitches through 9 IP....low even for Preseason. We can likely expect another torrid start for the Tribe (and to make some scratch on them) before they hit their proverbial "wall".
- As long as the Fish have Stanton on the payroll, Miami will not rollover. He has been hurt most by the fire-sale and has been very vocal about it. Expect a huge season if runners can get on ahead of him.
- Expect Adam Dunn to have a bounce-back season....perhaps his final rebound.
- Expect the lowly Astros to hang up some crooked numbers this season. I see a sneaky good offense maturing....
HOME-RUN WATCH ~ (Initially posting only "big-name" players) ~ Dunn (1), Bautista (1) - (Very good to see), Heyward (1), Martinez (1) - (Nice for Tiger folk), Ibanez (1) - (Think M's may surprise)
Excellent note on Covers regarding the MLB Season Strikeout Leader and Aroldis Chapman being converted to a starter. He is not on the initial list, so the Field (at about 28/1) will cover him if you can get it now. If he stays healthy, it could be a cakewalk.....he averaged about 1.7 K/IP last season. Interesting stuff regarding Morrow following Dickey in the Jays' rotation, too. Gonna be tough for opposing hitters to catch up.
For obvious reasons, I do not like to play too many season-long props, but have played a few including;
Bautista vs Braun - Most home runs
Jose Bautista (Tor) -2½ most home runs (-115)
Lawrie vs Freese - Most base hits
Brett Lawrie (Tor) -3½ most base hits (-115)
Not putting a lot into these, as I am really not that interested in any of them (although I will certainly have a few pesos on IS and 'Nova). For shits and giggles, here are my projections sans homecourt advantage, if any;
Syracuse 72 Marquette 68
Kansas State 76 Texas Tech 63 ~ Raiders probably worth a small play at 19+.
Iowa State 74 (+3) Kansas 70 ~ The biggest difference to me in this one is that the Cyclones do not rely on the charity stripe to score points, but do hit 75% when sent there. Oh....homecourt may also help a bit. Ultimately, I think that KU will be forced to run with State and will not keep up. Jays are 1-5 ATS here the last couple of years and this is a "true" 15-0 home team, IMO. Also like late FTs to put this Over the total. (Erred in the Picks' section with the Under) Cyclones by 7.....
Iowa State +1½ (-120) ~ At a (-105) ML, I'll take the hook here.
Vilanova 71 Seton Hall 61 (+3) ~ Giving the Pirates a generous 3 for homecourt as they have had recent success vs these 'Cats. Still think the line is covered easily at the line. 'Cats by 7....
Villanova -4½ (-110)
Villanova -2½ (-110) 1st Half ½ unit
Toronto Maple Leafs/Philadelphia Flyers Over 5½ (-115) ~ Although I do like the Leafs (at a nice price), I am holding off the side for now. Toronto with very limited success at Philly.
Toronto Maple Leafs Over 2½ (-130) ½ unit
Ottawa Senators (+110) ~ Sens playing admirably without their big defenseman and QB. No respect shown for a team that is 8-1-2 at home. Expect a hard-fought low-scoring game.
Montreal Canadiens/Ottawa Senators Under 5 (-120)
Dallas Stars/Nashville Predators Over 5 (+100) ~ Six of their last 7 have at least pushed this number.
Edmonton Oilers/Chicago Blackhawks Over 5½ (+120) ½ unit
Anaheim Ducks/Los Angeles Kings Under 5 (+100)
Boston Celtics Over 92 (-110)
Denver Nuggets -6½ (-120)
Detroit Pistons +2½ (-110)