By Marc Lawrence
There is nothing sweeter this time of the year than being alive in the NCAA Tournament. For those teams that survived the opening two rounds of this main event it's on to the Sweet 16 and, hopefully, the Elite 8 this weekend.
From the 2010 PLAYBOOK NCAA Sweet 16 Tournament Supplement, here are notes of the teams that have arrived. Stay tuned...
SWEET 16 ROUND NOTES:
- #1 Seed favs < 11 pts off BB SUATS wins are 10-2 ATS
- #2 Seeds are 12-5 ATS vs opponents off a SU dog win
- #4 Seed dogs are 2-8 ATS vs foes off BB SUATS wins
- #5 Seeds are 1-4 ATS vs foes off BB SUATS wins
- #6 Seeds off a DD SU win are 2-6 ATS
- #9 or higher seed dogs > 2 pts are 3-10 ATS
- Favorites off a SU win of 30 > pts are 4-0 ATS
- Favorites off BB SU wins of 15 > pts are 10-2 ATS
- Underdogs who scored < 65 pts last game are 7-3 ATS
- Underdogs off BB dog wins are 2-9 ATS
- Underdogs who scored 85 > pts last game are 2-7 ATS
Best Team SU & ATS records in this round
Xavier: 3-0 ATS, Michigan St: 5-1 SU & ATS, Kentucky: 10-2 SU / 9-3 ATS, West Virginia: 3-1 ATS
Worst Team SU & ATS records in this round
Butler: 0-3 SU / 1-2 ATS, Tennessee: 0-3 SU / 1-2 ATS, Washington: 0-3 SU, Duke: 1-5 SU & ATS, Syracuse: 1-4 SU / 0-4-1 ATS, Purdue: 1-3 SU & ATS.
Best Conference ATS records in this round
Atlantic 10: 6-0, SEC: 8-2 as dogs, Big 10: 14-5.
Worst Conference ATS records in this round
Big East: 0-5 as favs < 7 pts, Pac 10: 1-6 as dogs, Big 12: 1-5 as favs 10 < pts, ACC: 3-11 as favs 8 < pts.
ELITE 8 ROUND NOTES:
- #1 Seed favs > 7 pts are 0-7 ATS vs foe off BB ATS wins
- #2 Seeds are 2-9-1 ATS off a DD ATS win
- #5 Seeds are 4-0 SU and ATS
- #8 or higher seeds are 6-2-2 ATS
- Teams off BB ATS losses are 6-2 ATS
- Teams with Revenge are 12-4-1 ATS
- Favs who scored < 65 pts last game are 0-5 ATS
- Dogs off 3 straight DD wins are 1-4-1 ATS
- Dogs who scored 85 < pts last game are 1-4 ATS
COACH ME IF YOU CAN:
• Jim Boeheim is 1-5-1 ATS in Sweet 16 games, but 6-0 ATS from the Elite 8 out
- Tom Izzo is 11-3 SU and 9-4-1 ATS in Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games
- Bob Huggins is 1-9 ATS as an NCAA tourney dog or favorite of less than two points
THE IDES OF MARCH:
- Xavier is 25-12 SU and 24-12-1 ATS during the month of March since 2004, including 14-1-1 ATS in the NCAA tourney.
I'll be back next week with a final look at FINAL FOUR and Championship game action.