By Marc Lawrence
With the College Bowl games now in the rear view mirror and a new Super Bowl champion about to be crowned, our focus shifts to the NBA where teams are now engaged in the 2nd half the season.
With that, let's check your handicapping prowess as we take a look at a handful of handicapping theories that apply to teams playing from Game 42 out during the regular season in the NBA. All results are ATS (Against The Spread) and are since 1990, prior to the start of the current 2009-10 season...
1. FACT OR FICTION: TEAMS OFF BACK-TO-BACK DOUBLE-DIGIT WINS DOMINATE TEAMS OFF BACK-TO-BACK DOUBLE DIGIT LOSSES.
Fiction. The fact of the matter is these teams are just 52-59-1 ATS, including 23-32-1 ATS at home.
At home against .367 or greater opponents they dip to 6-14-1 ATS. Worse, at home with a win percentage of less than .677 they are 1-12-1 ATS when facing a .367 or greater foe.
2. FACT OR FICTION: DOUBLE-DIGIT DOGS OFF SU WIN AS A DOUBLE DIGIT-DOG ARE JUST GETTING STARTED.
Fact. That's confirmed by the fact that these teams are 32-18 ATS, including 15-6 ATS when facing an opponent off a SU and ATS wins.
Better yet, put these guys up against an opponent off a SU and ATS win of six or more points and they zoom to 10-1 ATS.
3. FACT OR FICTION: DOGS OFF A SU LOSS AS DOUBLE-DIGIT FAVORITES BOUNCE BACK BIG THE NEXT GAME VERSUS AN OPPONENT OFF A SU AND ATS LOSS.
Fiction. Quite the opposite, considering the fact that they are 9-17 ATS, including 6-15 ATS away.
Home or away, they are virtual no-shows if the opponent lost Su as a favorite in its last game, going 1-11 ATS.
4. FACT OR FICTION: ROAD WHO ARE 0-3 SU AND ATS THEIR LAST 3 GAMES CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE WHEN FACING AN OPPONENT THAT IS 3-0 SU AND ATS IN ITS LAST THREE GAMES.
Fiction. The truth of the matter is while struggling these teams bring ‘value' to the contest as they are 64-51-3 ATS, including 20-10-1 ATS when taking more than 10 points.
Better yet, when taking more than 10 points in same conference games they are an eye-opening 12-1-1 ATS.
5. FACT OR FICTION: TEAMS OFF THREE STRAIGHT-UP WINS IN A ROW AS AN UNDERDOG CONTINUE THEIR WINNING WAYS.
Fact. Momentum goes a long way in the NBA. Teams off three consecutive upset wins in a row are 38-28-1 ATS.
Put them up against division foes and they really turn things up, going 17-5 ATS, including 15-2 ATS versus sub .550 opposition.
There you have it. Five Super Systems to follow the 2nd half of this season. Happy hunting.