1. Motivation the MOST IMPORTANT handicap. It is hard to handicap motivation but look for teams like Clemson that at the beginning of the year expected to be in the playoff and now are playing in the Cheezit bowl game. (I'm not saying pick Iowa state right now I'm just using that as an example)
2. Pay attention to coaches who have good bowl game records (Also teams who have good bowl records)
3. Also look for teams that have lost 3 bowl games in a row or 3 out of 4. They will want the win more (Ties into motivation)
4. Don't be afraid of ML dogs. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE. Motivation is such a huge factor its not uncommon to see double digit dogs win. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF MONEYLINES.
5. With motivation also comes high scoring games early in the bowl season. These teams haven't had as long of a break and the offense is usually ready to go.
6. Crush 1H unders after christmas. Some of these teams haven't played for a month. Usually after christmas both teams are motivated (Usually) offenses are slow in the beginning and MOST The time we see high scoring games early so its not uncommon to see inflated totals later when the offenses are slow to get started.