What Time Does the Belmont Stakes Start? The 143rd Belmont Stakes is scheduled to take place on Saturday June 11, 2011 at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York. Belmont Stakes Post Time: 6:36pm EDT. Television: NBC / 5:00 - 7:00 PM featuring the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes and the Grade 1 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap. VERSUS / Live on Versus: 3:00 - 5:00 PM featuring the Grade 1 Foxwoods Just a Game, the Grade 2 True North Handicap and the Grade 2 Woody Stephens. Post-Race Coverage on VERSUS: 7:00 - 7:30 PM. Type: Thoroughbred. Track: Dirt. Purse: $1 million
(Winner-$600,000). Distance: 1 1/2 Miles (G1) (12 furlongs). Qualification:
3-year old. Weight: Colt/Gelding: 126 lbs (57.2 kg) / Filly: 121 lbs. (54.9 kg).
Expected Weather Conditions: 80 degrees and chance of a thunderstorm (click for updated Belmont Stakes weather). The Belmont Stakes is the third leg of the Triple Crown and is considered the toughest and most demanding when compared to the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Only the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Kentucky Oaks has higher attendance in North America for a stakes race. Named after August Belmont, the race was first run at Jerome Park in 1867. Horse racing legend Secretariat’s 31-length victory in the 1973 Belmont Stakes made him the 9th horse to capture the Triple Crown after establishing a the world record for a mile and a half on dirt 31-length victory at 2:24. Historically, twenty-nine horses have had a chance to win the Triple Crown going into the Belmont Stakes, but only eleven were able to meet the challenge.
Feedback: Who is your selection in the Belmont Stakes?143rd Belmont Stakes Opening Betting Odds and Post Postions:
1. Master of Hounds, Garrett Gomez (opening odds 10-1)
2. Stay Thirsty, Javier Castellano, (opening odds 20-1)
3. Ruler On Ice, Jose Valdivia Jr., (opening odds 20-1)
4. Santiva, Shaun Bridgmohan, (opening odds 15-1)
5. Brilliant Speed, Joel Rosario, (opening odds 15-1)
6. Nehro, Corey Nakatani, (opening odds 4-1)
7. Monzon, Jose Lezcano, (opening odds 30-1)
8. Prime Cut, Edgar Prado, (opening odds 15-1)
9. Animal Kingdom, John Velazquez, (opening odds 2-1)
10. Mucho Macho Man, Ramon Dominguez, (opening odds 10-1)
11. Isn't He Perfect, Rajiv Maragh, (opening odds 30-1)
12. Shackleford, Jesus Castanon, (opening odds 9-2)Sports FYI! The average horse racing hold can be over four times as expensive as the 11-10 "vig" on sports betting. (Create a free Pregame.com account and receive $25 - no credit card nor obligation - then pick baseball games and win $10,000 in cash).
2011 Belmont Stakes - The PicksPregame Pro Marco D'Angelo discusses his betting strategy for the 2011 Belmont Stakes.